Become a resource family to a foster child

See a list of agencies that can guide you through the approval process.

View Agencies

Why you should become a resource family

San Bernardino County kids need you

There is a continuous need for qualified foster parents in San Bernardino County. In 2013 there were approximately 4,500 children in “out-of-home placement”.

You’ll be supported

San Bernardino County provides financial reimbursement as well as medical, mental health and educational support. We’ll be with you every step of the way.


Opening your heart to a foster child can be an amazingly rewarding experience. You can make a difference in a child’s life.

How to become a resource family if you live in San Bernardino County

resource family live in San Bernardino County
  1. You’ll work directly with an agency partner. See list of agencies.
  2. Complete the orientation online or in person.
  3. Fill out the application and collect supporting documents
  4. Complete trainings
  5. Provide references
  6. Pass background checks
  7. Complete home and family assessments with a social worker (2 or more home visits)
  8. Get approved

How to become a resource family if you do not live in San Bernardino County

You’ll need to contact and work with a Foster Family Agency or the public child welfare agency for your particular county. Tell the agency that you are interested in fostering a child in San Bernardino County.


Can I work full time and have foster children?

You may work full time and care for foster children, so long as there is still a way to meet the needs of the children. The number of children and their age and special needs will be taken into account. Resource parents are usually important participants in visits with the family, doctor visits and transporting children to therapy and court.

Do I have to be married? My boyfriend and I live together; is that O.K.?

​We are looking for a stable family-type setting in which to place foster children. This can be a single parent, married couple, or an unmarried couple with a stable relationship. Anyone living in the home over the age of 18 years must be involved in the approval process.

Do I have to have a job?

​You must have a stable and verifiable source of income to take care of your family. California StateWritten Directives require that resource families must be able to meet all their family’s financial needs. Foster Care cannot be used as income for this purpose.

Do I need to have a car? Telephone? Extra bedroom?

Resource homes must have safely operating vehicles that are insured and large enough to transport the entire family. Foster children will need to be taken for visitation with parents and other family members, to court, medical & dental appointments, school, and extra-curricular activities. If a resource parent does not have a valid driver’s license, they must present a feasible plan on how the children will be transported to necessary activities.

Resource parents must have phone service and telephone numbers, (land line or cell) that are accurate and unblocked. Resource parents must be available to receive telephone calls for possible placement at all time.

Each foster child must have his or her own bed and may share a bedroom with only one other child. When sharing a bedroom, children over the age of five must be of the same gender.

For more information about Resource Parenting please call:

909-891-3300 or 1-800-722-4477

or write to:

Children and Family Services
412 West Hospitality Lane
San Bernardino, CA 92415

How do I become a Resource or Adoptive Parent?

To begin the process of becoming a resource or adoptive parent you are required to attend a Resource Parent Orientation. We currently offer Orientation sessions several times a month at various locations throughout the county as well as an online option. To find out specific dates and locations of upcoming Orientation sessions, you can call 1-800-722-4477. The application process will be explained greater detail at these sessions.

How many children can I have?

The number of foster children that can be placed in a resource home varies depending on the size and capacity of the home. California State Written Directives generally limit the number of children to six including adopted, guardianship and biological children.

How much will I be paid?

Foster care payments vary depending on the needs of the child. The current basic foster care rate is $923 per child. You must have a stable and verifiable source of income to take care of your family. California State Written Directives require that resource families must be able to meet all their family’s financial needs. Foster Care cannot be used as income for this purpose.

How soon will I get placement?

It is difficult to say when you will get your first placement. Generally speaking, you complete the Resource Family Approval, which includes having a family evaluation competed, and receive your license.Once your home is approved, social workers can begin calling you to place a child.

What are some of the special needs a foster child may have?

These are children who may be severely neglected, suffering from physical or sexual abuse and may have emotional problems related to their experiences. The children’s behavior may not be appropriate to their ages. Many of these children may also be behind in school and need someone to support and advocate for them in the educational system. Regardless of the physical and emotional problems with which these children must deal, they all need a safe, nurturing home environment.

What are the age requirements to be a resource parent?

California State Written Directives require an applicant to be an adult who is at least 18 years old; however, this is only one factor to be considered. The stability and experience of applicants are also important considerations.

Ready to get started? Please contact one of our partner agencies to begin the process.

Get Started